NIAS is delighted to announce it will run a Rugby7s program for 15s girls and boys and 17s girls and boys.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE
15s, females and males must have turned 14 by 1st January 2018 (i.e. born in 2002 and 2003).
17s, female and Male athletes must have turned 16 by 1st January 2018 (i.e. born in 2000 and 2001).
All applicants must reside in Northern Inland region and be a member of an affiliated club or association or be prepared to join.
Up to 12 athletes in each of the four squads (15 girls, 15 boys, 17 girls and 17 boys) may be offered a place in the Rugby 7's Program based on performances selection trials. A selection panel will assess each application based on performances and attitude and commitment to Rugby. Trials for the 2018 Rugby 7's squad will be on the Sunday 5th November at Barraba Rugby Club from 10am to 12noon. All interested must apply on line before the trial/discovery day.
Discovery/Trial Day - Sunday 5th November 2017 -10am to 12noon, Barraba Rugby Club
Announce Squad 10th November – Maximum of 12 per squad.
Training 1 - Sunday 26th November 2017 - time and venue to be confirmed
Training 2 - Sunday 4th February 2018 - time and venue to be confirmed
NIAS GROWTH DAY – Sunday 11th February - Armidale – Armidale City Bowling Club - Compulsory
Uniforms will issued on this date.
Training 3 - Sunday 25th February 2018 - time and venue to be confirmed
NIAS Coaches Development Weekend Saturday 10th and Sunday 11th November – Wayne Goldsmith – Tamworth
T1: Sunday 25th November –– TBC Time and Venue
T2: Sunday 4th February –– TBC Time and Venue
NIAS GROWTH DAY – Sunday 11th February - Armidale – Armidale City Bowling Club – Compulsory/Uniform
T3: Sunday 25th February - TBC Time and Venue
T4: Sunday 4th March - TBC Time and Venue*
All squads will enter three Rugby 7s tournaments over a three week period - two away and one local tournament
*Subject to change depending on tournament dates – these will be held over the weekends of
Saturday 10th and Sunday 11th March
Saturday 17th and Sunday 18th March
Saturday 24th and Sunday 25th March
Possibly 6th and 7th April - if required.
Athletes in 17s may have the opportunity to attend ClubsNSW Academy Games held in Newcastle on 27th to 29th April 2018 (to be confirmed).
NIAS Awards Night to be confirmed.
All training sessions are compulsory – only higher rugby7s representative duties, compulsory school excursion, injury (with notification) or family emergency exceptions. All absence must be emailed to NIAS Office and head coach prior to training. This will be explained in letter of offer.
The program will offer each athlete the opportunity to further develop and improve skills on and off the field.
Athletes will be assessed on the following criteria at selections trials or via Talent Identification processes.
- T- Technique
- I- Intelligence
- P- Physical Attributes
- S- Skill
- Endurance- 20m shuttle run
Subjectivity is an unavoidable element in all selections. Athletes who feel the selection criteria has not been adhered to should be aware that NIAS has a formal 'Appeals' process available.
Training camps will be held on Sunday Mornings throughout the region. The skills program follows a structured approach concentrating on a range of individual skills and development. Fitness and skill sessions will be the major focus as they look to develop the athletes in the game of Rugby 7's. Athletes in 17s may have the opportunity to attend ClubsNSW Academy Games held in Newcastle on 27th to 29th April 2018 (to be confirmed).
Intensive training support by quality regional, guest and state level coaches.
- Individual home training program and structured satellite training sessions where applicable.
- Sport Science fitness testing and support.
- 1 Ticket to the Annual Academy Awards
- Travel Assistance to attend NIAS regional training sessions and camps.
- Financial assistance if selected into state team.
- Fully Paid Athlete Levy scholarships due to financial hardship available.
- Attend all program activities.
- Rugby 7's is number 1 priority sport while on scholarship.
- Be committed to a holistic approach to their development, both on and off the field.
- Comply with the training requirements and respond in a positive manner to any suggestion or criticism.
- Maintain an appropriate performance standard to continue to receive a scholarship.
- Behave and dress in a professional and dignified manner when representing the NIAS and its sponsors.
- Wear Academy apparel when representing the Academy at events.
- Make yourself available (within reason) to sponsors and the media for promotional purposes.
- Adhere to NIAS anti-Doping policy.
- Maintain communication with NIAS and coaching staff as required.
Athlete levy: $180 GST inclusive. This levy covers training camps, coaching support, GROWTH day, fitness testing, Awards Night ticket)
Sports Trip: Costs to be confirmed once tournament are selected.
Rugby 7's Clothing Pack: $250 GST inclusive (ordered from and paid to SportsPower Armidale, includes NIAS polo shirt, cap, training shirt, training shorts, tracksuit pants, hoodie and ankle socks). Additional NIAS merchandise can be purchased from SportsPower Armidale.
Athlete levy support programs are available for those experiencing financial difficulty.
Open Date: 28 August 2017
Close Date: 11 December 2017
For further information please contact the NIAS office on 67 662526 or email email@example.com
Applications currently closed