Inverell RSM afl Program
Who is Eligible
Male athletes should be aged between 13 and 17 in 2018 (born 2001 to 2005 ), reside in Northern Inland region and be a member of an affiliated club or association or be prepared to join.
Female athletes should be aged between 13 and 17 in 2018 (born 2001 to 2005), reside in Northern Inland region and be a member of an affiliated club or association or be prepared to join
Athletes applying for the NIAS AFL Squad are encouraged to join their local team in the newly formed TAFL U15 Junior Competition.
Up to 25 athletes of both female and male athletes may be offered a place in the AFL Program based on performances selection trials. A selection panel will assess each application based on performances and attitude and commitment to AFL.
Scholarship offered is for the period, December 2017 to September 2018.
11th February 2018 - Sunday - NIAS Induction/GROWTH Day
The program will offer each athlete the opportunity to further develop and improve skills. It is supported by the TAFL Junior Competition who will feed players into the NIAS AFL Squad.
Athletes will be assessed on the following criteria at selections trials or via Talent Identification processes.
- T- Technique
- I- Intelligence
- P- Physical Attributes
- S- Skill
- Endurance- fitness / athletic ability
Subjectivity is an unavoidable element in all selections. Athletes who feel the selection criteria has not been adhered to should be aware that NIAS has a formal 'Appeals' process available.
Training camps will be held on Saturday or Sunday Mornings throughout the region. The skills program follows a structured approach concentrating on a range of individual skills and development. Fitness and skill sessions will be the major focus as they look to develop the athletes in the game of AFL. Athletes will have the opportunity to attend a Sydney Swans training, SCG training session and AFL Premiership match.
In February athletes will attend the NIAS GROWTH Day. This program covers education sessions on Goal Setting, Resilience, Opportunities beyond sport, Wealth management, Testing and fitness, radio and print media and Healthy mind healthy body..
Intensive training support by quality regional, guest and state level coaches.
- Individual home training program and structured satellite training sessions where applicable.
- Sport Science fitness testing and support.
- 1 Ticket to the Annual Academy Awards
- Travel Assistance to attend NIAS regional training sessions and camps.
- Financial assistance if selected into state team.
- Fully Paid Athlete Levy scholarships due to financial hardship available.
- Attend all program activities.
- AFL is no 1 priority sport while on scholarship.
- Be committed to a holistic approach to their development, both on and off the field.
- Comply with the training requirements and respond in a positive manner to any suggestion or criticism.
- Maintain an appropriate performance standard to continue to receive a scholarship.
- Behave and dress in a professional and dignified manner when representing the NIAS and its sponsors.
- Wear Academy apparel when representing the Academy at events.
- Make yourself available (within reason) to sponsors and the media for promotional purposes.
- Adhere to NIAS anti-Doping policy.
- Maintain communication with NIAS and coaching staff as required.
Athlete levy: $165 GST inclusive. This levy covers training camps, coaching support, GROWTH day, fitness testing, Awards Night ticket)
Sports Trip: $165 GST inclusive
AFL Clothing Pack: $225 GST inclusive (ordered from and paid to SportsPower Armidale, includes NIAS polo shirt, cap, training shirt, training shorts, tracksuit pants, hoodie and ankle socks). Additional NIAS merchandise can be purchased from SportsPower Armidale.
Athlete levy support programs are available for those experiencing financial difficulty.
Open Date: 28 August 2017
Close Date: 6 October 2017
For further information please contact the NIAS office on 67 662526 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications currently closed