NIAS Basketball program
2017 Basketball Squad
Ryan Bath - Tamworth
Zac Campbell - Armidale
Nathan Clark - Quirindi
Cameron Holton - Tamworth
William Meyers - Tamworth
Rowan Meyers - Tamworth
Benjamin Pearce - Tamworth
Lachlan Salvador - Tamworth
Tom Sheppard - Tamworth
Connor Watt - Tamworth
Pop Malauch - Armidale
Hayley Beck - Tamworth
Anika Earsman - Tamworth
Georgia Griffiths - Tamworth
Shanti Kennedy - Tamworth
Sienna Kennedy - Tamworth
Samantha McCubbin - Manilla
Ruby Murphy - Tamworth
Chloe Symington - Werris Creek
Grace Whale - Tamworth
Olivia Whittlemore - Tamworth
2017 Program Staff
Coaches - Jono Willis, Greg O'Toole and Matt Hobson
Program Manager - Pippa McMahon and Tammy McMahon
Who is Eligible
Athletes should be aged 14 or 15 in 2017 and be residing in Northern Inland region.
Trials will be taking place on Saturday 12th November 2016 from 10 am to 3 pm
The squad will consist of 20 athletes, 10 male and 10 female.
Scholarship offered is for the period November to May 2017
The skill program is designed to provide athletes with increased skills and education to better prepare them for competition nationally and internationally.
Athletes will be assessed on the following criteria at selections trials or via Talent Identification processes.
- T- Technique
- I- Intelligence (Basketball).
- P- Physical Attributes
- S- Skill
- Endurance- 20m shuttle run
Subjectivity is an unavoidable element in all selections. Athletes who feel the selection criteria has not been adhered to should be aware that NIAS has a formal 'Appeals' process available.
Program year will consist of the following:
- 3 weekend training camps (over 25 hours of coaching time)
- NIAS GROWTH day -
- Sydney tour weekend - (specialist coaching games at Newington College)
- ClubsNSW Academy Games
- Annual Academy Awards
Regional training session dates are yet to be finalized. Please refer to the Events on the webpage.
- Intensive training support by quality and experienced basketball athletes
- Lifeskills GROWTH workshop including lunch for athlete.
- Sydney tour - high level guest coaches and access to professional sporting environment
- Sport Science fitness testing and support.
- 1 Ticket to annual awards night.
- Travel Assistance to attend NIAS regional training sessions and camps.
- Financial assistance if selected into state team.
- Fully Paid Athlete Levy scholarships due to financial hardship available.
Attend all program activities.
- Basketball is no 1 priority sport while on scholarship.
- Be committed to a holistic approach to their development, both in and out of the arena.
- Comply with the training requirements and respond in a positive manner to any suggestion or criticism.
- Maintain an appropriate performance standard to continue to receive a scholarship.
- Behave and dress in a professional and dignified manner when representing the NIAS and its sponsors.
- Wear Academy apparel when representing the Academy at events.
- Make yourself available (within reason) to sponsors and the media for promotional purposes.
- Adhere to NIAS Anti-Doping policy.
- Maintain communication with NIAS and coaching staff as required.
Athlete levy: $165 GST inclusive. This levy covers training camps, coaching support, GROWTH day, fitness testing, Awards Night ticket)
Sports Trip: $165 GST inclusive
Academy Games $220.00 GST inclusive
Basketball Clothing Pack: $225 GST inclusive (ordered from and paid to SportsPower Armidale, includes NIAS polo shirt, cap, training shirt, training shorts, tracksuit pants, hoodie and ankle socks). Additional NIAS merchandise can be purchased from SportsPower Armidale.
Athlete levy support programs are available for those experiencing financial difficulty.
Open Date: 1 September 2016
Close Date: 30 November 2016
For further information please contact the NIAS office on 67 662526 or email email@example.com
Applications currently closed