Tamworth Golf Club, Golf Program
Applications are now open for the NIAS 2018 Golf Program.
Matilda Chapman, Gunnedah
Toby Cooper, Armidale
Lachlan Flemming, Tamworth
Taryn Maher, Gunnedah
Bailey Milford, Tamworth
Harrison Milford, Tamworth
Head Coach, Brock Sampson, PGA
Trainee Coach, Andrew Brennan
Who is Eligible?
Male and female athletes need to be turning 13-18 years in 2018, reside in Northern Inland region and be a member of an affiliated club or association (or be prepared to join).
- The program will have two tiers.
Tier 1 athletes – Golfers will have a handicap of 12 and under (male) and 18 and under (female).
Tier 2 athletes – Golfers will have a handicap between 12/18 and 25.
Up to 10 athletes (male and female) will be offered a place in the Golf Program based on Handicap. Selection will also be based on your attitude and commitment to Golf.
Scholarship period is November 2017 to November 2018. The program will consist of six regional sessions. Athletes (Tier 1) will partipate at the Clubs NSW Academy Games. Athletes will be eligible to play in the Jack Newton Junior Golf (JNJG) Junior Masters, with a team of four selected to play in the Regional Academies Challenge. Athletes will be invited to attend an inter academy golf camp in January 2018 in Newcastle.
Refer to events on webpage to confirm training sessions.
Session 1 - Tamworth - Saturday 18th and Sunday 19th November 2017
Session 2 - Tamworth - 9th and 10th December 2017
GROWTH (Induction) Saturday 11th February 2018
Session 3 - Tamworth - 24th and 25th February 2018
Session 4 - Tamworth - 10th and 11th March 2018
Session 5 - Tamworth - 24th -25th March 2018 (tier 2)
Session 6 - Tamworth - 7th and 8th April 2018
JNJG Peter O’Malley Junior - Inter Academy Tournament - 24th/25th March - Tier 1
Clubs NSW Academy Games 27th - 29th April - Newcastle - Tier 1
Awards Night – 4th of August 2018
The skill program is designed to provide players with increased skills and education to better prepare them for selection into Regional and NSW squads.
Golfers will be assessed accordingly to their handicap, Male golfers are to have a handicap of 12 or less and Female golfers 18 or less. Golfers will also be assessed on their attitude and commitment to golf. Interviews may be required. Discussions with you local club may also be conducted in some cases. We encourage all athletes that fit within the age bracket to apply even if your handicap is outside the range. NIAS will look to invite Juniors throughout the region to a NIAS training session.
Subjectivity is an unavoidable element in all selections. Athletes who feel the selection criteria has not been adhered to should be aware that NIAS has a formal 'Appeals' process available.
The program is developed in close consultation with the Jack Newton Junior Golf (JNJG). Skill sessions and camps are held within the region throughout the stated program duration. Specialist coaches and competing representing NIAS will be available to squad members. May - June athletes are required to attend the NIAS RACE program. This program covers education sessions on sport psychology, sports medicine, nutrition, public speaking, media training, sun protection and career skills. The Squad also competes in the Annual Clubs NSW Academy Games each April.
- Intensive training support by quality regional, guest and state level coaches.
- GROWTH Day.
- Individual home training program and structured satellite training sessions where applicable.
- Sport Science fitness testing and support.
- 1 Ticket to annual awards night.
- Travel Assistance to attend NIAS regional training sessions and camps.
- Financial assistance if selected into state team.
- Attend all program activities.
- Golf is no 1 priority sport while on scholarship.
- Be committed to a holistic approach to their development, both on and off the course.
- Comply with the training requirements and respond in a positive manner to any suggestion or criticism.
- Maintain an appropriate performance standard to continue to receive a scholarship.
- Behave and dress in a professional and dignified manner when representing the NIAS and its sponsors.
- Wear Academy apparel when representing the Academy at events.
- Make yourself available (within reason) to sponsors and the media for promotional purposes.
- Adhere to NIAS anti-Doping policy.
- Maintain communication with NIAS and coaching staff as required.
Athlete levy: $180 GST inclusive. This levy covers training camps, coaching support, GROWTH day, fitness testing, Awards Night ticket)
Academy Games $250.00 GST inclusive
Sports Trip: $180 GST inclusive
Golf Clothing Pack: $250 GST inclusive (ordered from and paid to SportsPower Armidale, includes NIAS polo shirt, cap, tracksuit pants, hoodie and ankle socks). Additional NIAS merchandise can be purchased from SportsPower Armidale.
Open Date: 25 August 2017
Close Date: 17 November 2017
For further information please contact the NIAS office on 67 662526 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications currently closed