The 2021 NIAS Athletics program applications are now closed and the squads have been selected.
Coach Nomination applications are Closed. Download form here.
The 2021 NIAS Athletics Program will commence in March 2021 (trials/ squad selection at the end of February) and will continue through to September 2021. It is planned that athletes will attend 5-6 regional training sessions during the program. Satellite or assisted correspondence training sessions may be organised for those who do not have a club coach. NIAS is planning an out of region tour during this program, however this will be dependent on COVID-19 regulations at the time.
2021 Athletics Program
2021 Development Squad:
Head Coach - Adam Jolliffe
Assistant Coach - Adrienne Ranken
Trainee Coach - Mikielee Snow
Trainee Coach - Nick Price
Trainee Coach - Matthew Campion
Who is Eligible
Male and female athletes turning 13 to 17 in 2021 (born in 2004-2008) and residing within the Northern Inland region. Athletes are required to be registered with affiliated athletics club to apply.
NIAS will be offering an 'Athletics Development Program' for male and female athletes aged 11 to 12 years in 2021 (2009-2010)
Multiclass athletes are also encouraged to apply.
The program will commence in March and run until September.
Selection Process & Criteria
The squad will consist of female and male athletes including para athletes. Selection into the Athletics program will be based on past performance and results.
To be eligible athletes will be required to submit details on athletic ability and performances.
Athletes need to be registered with an affiliated athletics club to apply.
Scholarship offered is for the period, March 2021 to September 2021
Trials: February - TBC
The 2021 NIAS Athletics Program is scheduled to commence in March 2021 and continue through to September 2021. Athletes will attend 5-6 regional training sessions during the program. Satellite or assisted correspondence training session will also be organised for those who do not have a club coach.
Regional training session dates are yet to be finalised. Please refer to the events on the webpage or contact the NIAS team. Athletes will be provided training dates at commencement of program.
The skills program follows a structured approach concentrating on a range of individual skills and development in events. Fitness sessions focus on the importance of building core strength to improve posture, balance and technique. All athletes will be required to attend the NIAS Life Skills Education Weekend in March 2021, in Armidale.
NIAS is investigating an out of region tour to Sydney for athletes, but will provide further updates pending COVID-19 regulations.
The skills program is designed to provide athletes with increased skills and education to better prepare them for competition in Regional and NSW events.
Subjectivity is an unavoidable element in all selections. Athletes who feel the selection criteria has not been adhered to should be aware that NIAS has a formal 'Appeals' process available.
Contact NIAS if you would like to make an appeal and recieve feedback on your application.
- Intensive training support by quality regional, guest and state level coaches.
- Attendance at the NIAS Life Skills Education Weekend (off-field education)
- NIAS clothing pack.
- One Ticket to annual awards night.
- Travel Assistance to attend NIAS regional training sessions and camps.
- Financial assistance if selected into state team.
- Fully paid athlete levy scholarships due to financial hardship available.
- Attend all program activities.
- Athletics is no 1 priority sport while on scholarship.
- Be committed to a holistic approach to their development, both at the track and field and off.
- Comply with the training requirements and respond in a positive manner to any suggestion or criticism.
- Maintain an appropriate performance standard to continue to receive a scholarship.
- Behave and dress in a professional and dignified manner when representing the NIAS and its sponsors.
- Wear Academy apparel when representing the Academy at events.
- Make yourself available (within reason) to sponsors and the media for promotional purposes.
- Adhere to NIAS anti-doping policy.
- Maintain communication with NIAS and coaching staff as required
- Assist/Volunteer at the NIAS National Primary Games in July
Athlete levy: $190 GST inclusive. This levy covers training sessions/camps, coaching support, Life Skills Education Weekend, fitness testing, Awards Night ticket.
Sports Trip: $190 GST inclusive. This is an approximate number, can change depending on tour activities.
Athletics Clothing Pack: $TBC (Includes NIAS polo shirt, cap, training shirt, training shorts, tracksuit pants, hoodie and ankle socks). Additional NIAS merchandise can be purchased.
Athlete levy support programs are available for those experiencing financial difficulty.
Open Date: 18 November 2020
Close Date: 03 February 2021
For further information please contact the NIAS office on 67 662526 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications currently closed