The 2020/2021 NIAS Basketball program applications are now OPEN and will close Friday 9th October at 5:00pm.
CLICK THE YELLOW APPLY BUTTON ON THE RIGHT TO APPLY NOW
(Or at the bottom of the page for mobile users)
To be eligble, athletes must be aged 14 - 15 years old in 2021 (born 2006-2007).
Trials will be held Saturday 10th October in Tamworth
Up to five under age (i.e. 13 in 2021/born in 2008) may be selected to form a development squad.
Coach Nominations for the 2020/2021 season are now open. Download the form here.
If you require more information, please contact the NIAS office.
2019/2020 "Tamworth City Toyota" Basketball Program:
|Danny Madden||East Tamworth|
|Tom Parsons||Werris Creek|
|Jamiah Hunt||Werris Creek|
Program Mentor: Greg O’Toole
Boys Head Coach: Jono Willis
Boys Assistant Coach: Matt Parsons
Girls Head Coach: Matt Hobson
Girls Assistant Coach: Sonja Taylor
Who is Eligible
Athletes should be aged 14 or 15 in 2021 (born in 2006 or 2007) and be residing in Northern Inland region. We will also have up to five under age (i.e. 13 in 2021/born in 2008) to form a development squad.
Selection Process & Criteria
The squad will consist of 20 athletes, 10 male and 10 female.
Athletes will be assessed on the following criteria at selections trials or via Talent Identification processes.
- T- Technique
- I- Intelligence (Basketball).
- P- Physical Attributes
- S- Skill
- Endurance- 20m shuttle run
Scholarship offered is for the period October 2020 to May 2021.
Trials: Saturday 10th October in Tamworth
Training dates and locations are to be finalised.
Your Local Club Academy Games 16th - 18th April 2021 in Newcastle.
Awards Night – Date TBC
The program year will consist of various weekend training camps attributing to over 30 hours of coaching time. The skills program follows a structured approach concentrating on a range of individual skills and development. Athletes will have the opportunity to travel to Sydney for a touring weekend where they will gain specialist coaching support.
Athletes will attend the NIAS Life Skills Education Day. This program covers education sessions on Goal Setting, Resilience, Opportunities beyond sport, Wealth management, Testing and fitness, radio and print media and Healthy mind healthy body. Athletes will also attend an overnight training camp and attend Clubs NSW Academy Games.
The skill program is designed to provide athletes with increased skills and education to better prepare them for competition nationally and internationally.
Subjectivity is an unavoidable element in all selections. Athletes who feel the selection criteria has not been adhered to should be aware that NIAS has a formal 'Appeals' process available.
Contact NIAS if you would like to make an appeal and recieve feedback on your application.
- Intensive training support by quality and experienced basketball athletes
- Life skills Education workshop including lunch for athlete.
- Sydney tour - high level guest coaches and access to professional sporting environment
- Sport Science fitness testing and support.
- 1 Ticket to annual awards night.
- Travel Assistance to attend NIAS regional training sessions and camps.
- Financial assistance if selected into state team.
- Fully Paid Athlete Levy scholarships due to financial hardship available.
Attend all program activities.
- Basketball is no 1 priority sport while on scholarship.
- Be committed to a holistic approach to their development, both in and out of the arena.
- Comply with the training requirements and respond in a positive manner to any suggestion or criticism.
- Maintain an appropriate performance standard to continue to receive a scholarship.
- Behave and dress in a professional and dignified manner when representing the NIAS and its sponsors.
- Wear Academy apparel when representing the Academy at events.
- Make yourself available (within reason) to sponsors and the media for promotional purposes.
- Adhere to NIAS Anti-Doping policy.
- Maintain communication with NIAS and coaching staff as required.
- Assist/Volunteer at the NIAS National Primary Games
Athlete levy: $190 GST inclusive. This levy covers training camps, coaching support, Life Skills Education Day, fitness testing, Awards Night ticket)
Sports Trip: $190 GST inclusive. This is an approximate number, can change depending on tour activities.
Academy Games: $250 GST inclusive. This is for the female athletes selected to represent NIAS at the Academy Games.
Basketball Clothing Pack: $TBC (Includes NIAS polo shirt, cap, training shirt, training shorts, tracksuit pants, hoodie and ankle socks). Additional NIAS merchandise can be purchased.
Athlete levy support programs are available for those experiencing financial difficulty.
Open Date: 07 September 2020
Close Date: 10 October 2020
For further information please contact the NIAS office on 67 662526 or email email@example.com