Applications for the 2021/2022 NIAS Basketball program are OPEN!
CLICK THE YELLOW APPLY BUTTON ON THE RIGHT TO APPLY NOW
(Or at the bottom of the page for mobile users)
To be eligble, athletes must be aged 14 or 15 in 2022 (born in 2008 or 2007) and be residing in the Northern Inland region.
A Development squad will be offered to those who are 12 or 13 years of age in 2022 (born in 2009 or 2010).
Coach Nominations for the 2021/2022 season are now OPEN. Download the form here.
If you require more information, please contact the NIAS office.
2021 "Tamworth City Toyota" Basketball Program:
Boys Head Coach: Matt Hobson
Girls Head Coach: Greg Irwin
Assistant Coach: Matt Parsons
Assistant Coach: Ben Pierce
Who is Eligible
Athletes should be aged 14 or 15 in 2022 (born in 2007 or 2008) and be residing in the Northern Inland region. Athletes aged 12 or 13 in 2022 (i.e. born in 2009 or 2010) are able to apply as part of our Development squad.
Selection Process & Criteria
The squad will consist of 20 athletes, 10 male and 10 female.
Athletes will be assessed on the following criteria at selections trials or via Talent Identification processes.
- T- Technique
- I- Intelligence (Basketball).
- P- Physical Attributes
- S- Skill
- Endurance- 20m shuttle run
Scholarship offered is for the period October 2021 to May 2022.
Trials: October (DATE TBC) in Tamworth
Training dates and locations are to be finalised.
Your Local Club Academy Games 8th - 10th April 2022 in Wagga Wagga.
Awards Night – Date TBC
The program year will consist of various weekend training camps attributing to over 30 hours of coaching time. The skills program follows a structured approach concentrating on a range of individual skills and development. Athletes will have the opportunity for an out of region touring weekend where they will gain specialist coaching support (COVID dependant)
Athletes will attend the NIAS Life Skills Education Weekend. This program covers education sessions on Goal Setting, Resilience, Opportunities beyond sport, Wealth management, Testing and fitness, radio and print media and Healthy mind healthy body. Athletes will also attend an overnight training camp and attend Clubs NSW Academy Games.
Please Note* We will plan on completing the training sessions pending COVID-19 restrictions. A priority for NIAS is to ensure you have a completed program, therefore if originally proposed training sessions are unable to take place due to COVID-19, alternatives will be sought.
The skill program is designed to provide athletes with increased skills and education to better prepare them for competition nationally and internationally.
Subjectivity is an unavoidable element in all selections. Athletes who feel the selection criteria has not been adhered to should be aware that NIAS has a formal 'Appeals' process available.
Contact NIAS if you would like to make an appeal and recieve feedback on your application.
- Intensive training support by quality and experienced basketball coaches
- Attendance at the NIAS Life Skills Education Weekend (off-field education).
- Sydney tour - high level guest coaches and access to professional sporting environment (alternate locations may be sought if not feasible)
- Sport Science fitness testing and support.
- 1 Ticket to annual awards night.
- Travel Assistance to attend NIAS regional training sessions and camps.
- Financial assistance if selected into state team.
- Fully Paid Athlete Levy scholarships due to financial hardship available.
Attend all program activities.
- Basketball is number 1 priority sport while on scholarship.
- Be committed to a holistic approach to their development, both in and out of the arena.
- Comply with the training requirements and respond in a positive manner to any suggestion or criticism.
- Maintain an appropriate performance standard to continue to receive a scholarship.
- Behave and dress in a professional and dignified manner when representing the NIAS and its sponsors.
- Wear Academy apparel when representing the Academy at events.
- Make yourself available (within reason) to sponsors and the media for promotional purposes.
- Adhere to NIAS Anti-Doping policy.
- Maintain communication with NIAS and coaching staff as required.
- Assist/Volunteer at the NIAS National Primary Games
Athlete levy: $195 GST inclusive. This levy covers training camps, coaching support, fitness testing, Awards Night ticket
Sports Trip: $190 GST inclusive. This is an approximate number, can change depending on tour activities.
Academy Games: $250 GST inclusive (based on previous years - this is subject to change). This is for the athletes selected to represent NIAS at the Academy Games.
Basketball Clothing Pack: $TBC (Includes NIAS polo shirt, cap, training shirt, training shorts, tracksuit pants, hoodie and ankle socks). Additional NIAS merchandise can be purchased.
Athlete levy support programs are available for those experiencing financial difficulty.
We understand COVID-19 provides some uncertainty, however it is our priority to ensure each program is completed in full and will source avenues to make this happen. If this is unable to occur due to COVID-19, NIAS will look to provide partial refunds for what has NOT been provided.
Open Date: 01 September 2021
Close Date: 31 October 2021
For further information please contact the NIAS office on 67 662526 or email firstname.lastname@example.org