Applications for the 2019 program are now open and will close on Friday 26th October 2018
Applications are open until Monday 3rd September for Coach Nominations, Download form at our website.
2018 boys NIAS Basketball Program:
William Berton- Tamworth
Archie Cudmore- Quirindi
Blair Kedzlie- Tamworth
Bailey Keech- Tamworth
Jake Larkham- Tamworth
Jack Murdoch- Tamworth
Aiden R de Luzuriaga- Gunnedah
Nathan Summers- Tamworth
Nathaniel Thrift- Tamworth
Connor Watt- Tamworth
2018 NIAS GIRLS BASKETBALL PROGRAM:\
Hayley Beck- Tamworth
Anika Earsman- Tamworth
Zali Humble- Tamworth
Josie Humble- Tamworth
Arianna Klein- Tamworth
Samantha McCubbin- Manilla
Marley Pitt- Tamworth
Bianca Watson- Tamworth
Olivia Whittemore- Tamworth
Program Co-ordinator/Mentor Coach - Greg O'Toole
Women's Head Coach - Matt Hobson
Womens Assistant Coach - Open
Men's Head Coach - Jono Willis
Men's Assistant Coach - Open
Manager - Open
Who is Eligible
Athletes should be aged 14 or 15 in 2019 and be residing in Northern Inland region. We will also have up to five under age (i.e. 13 in 2019) to form a development squad.
Trials will be taking place Saturday October 27, 9am-1pm. Tamworth Sports Dome.
The squad will consist of 20 athletes, 10 male and 10 female.
Scholarship offered is for the period October 2018 to May 2019
The skill program is designed to provide athletes with increased skills and education to better prepare them for competition nationally and internationally.
Athletes will be assessed on the following criteria at selections trials or via Talent Identification processes.
- T- Technique
- I- Intelligence (Basketball).
- P- Physical Attributes
- S- Skill
- Endurance- 20m shuttle run
Subjectivity is an unavoidable element in all selections. Athletes who feel the selection criteria has not been adhered to should be aware that NIAS has a formal 'Appeals' process available.
Program year will consist of the following:
- Weekend regional training days (over 30 hours of coaching time)
Session 1 - Saturday November 9
Session 2 - Saturday November 24
Session 3 - Saturday December 8
Session 4 - Saturday February 9
Session 5 - Saturday March 2
Session 6 - Saturday March 30
- NIAS GROWTH day - Educational component - Sunday February 10 - Armidale
- Sydney tour weekend - (specialist coaching including games at Newington College) - Friday March 15 to Sunday March 17 (TBC)
- ClubsNSW Academy Games Friday April 12 to Sunday April 14
- Annual Academy Awards Night -TBC
- Intensive training support by quality and experienced basketball athletes
- Lifeskills GROWTH workshop including lunch for athlete.
- Sydney tour - high level guest coaches and access to professional sporting environment
- Sport Science fitness testing and support.
- 1 Ticket to annual awards night.
- Travel Assistance to attend NIAS regional training sessions and camps.
- Financial assistance if selected into state team.
- Fully Paid Athlete Levy scholarships due to financial hardship available.
Attend all program activities.
- Basketball is no 1 priority sport while on scholarship.
- Be committed to a holistic approach to their development, both in and out of the arena.
- Comply with the training requirements and respond in a positive manner to any suggestion or criticism.
- Maintain an appropriate performance standard to continue to receive a scholarship.
- Behave and dress in a professional and dignified manner when representing the NIAS and its sponsors.
- Wear Academy apparel when representing the Academy at events.
- Make yourself available (within reason) to sponsors and the media for promotional purposes.
- Adhere to NIAS Anti-Doping policy.
- Maintain communication with NIAS and coaching staff as required.
- Assist/Volunteer at the NIAS National Primary Games
Athlete levy: $190 GST inclusive. This levy covers training camps, coaching support, GROWTH day, fitness testing, Awards Night ticket)
Sports Trip: $TBC GST inclusive
Academy Games TBC GST inclusive
Basketball Clothing Pack: TBC Approx $250 GST inclusive (ordered from and paid to SportsPower Armidale, includes NIAS polo shirt, cap, training shirt, training shorts, tracksuit pants, hoodie and ankle socks). Additional NIAS merchandise can be purchased from SportsPower Armidale.
Athlete levy support programs are available for those experiencing financial difficulty.
Open Date: 8 August 2018
Close Date: 26 October 2018
For further information please contact the NIAS office on 67 662526 or email firstname.lastname@example.org