Athlete applications for the 2020 program are now closed the the squad has been selected.
To be eligible you must be aged 17 or under (born before 2002) to apply.
Coach Nomination applications are open until Friday 25th October, Download form here or at our website.
NIAS Cycling PROGRAM
NIAS 2020 Squad:
2020 Program Staff
Who is Eligible
Male and female athletes aged between 12 and 17 in 2020, reside in Northern Inland region.
The squads will consist of up to 10 to 15 athletes per discipline (Mountain Bike, Track Cycling and Road Cycling)
Scholarship offered is for the period, November 2019- August 2020.
The Cycling program in 2019 will consist of 6 sessions throughout the year. These sessions will include on the bike specific training split into Mountain Bike and Cycling groups, everyone will then come together for off the bike sessions. (Presentations on Nutrition, race prep, strength and conditioning, testing, psychology etc.
Dates for these 6 sessions are TBC.
17th November: Regional training session. Tamworth
10th February: NIAS Induction and Education day
2nd/3rd March: Regional training session
April: Regional training session. Date and venue TBC
June: Regional training session. Date and venue TBC
July: Regional training session. Date and venue TBC
July/August: Academy Awards Night
Each regional training session will have a focus both on and off respective bikes and include an education session tailored to cycling.
- Sports Psychology
- Fitness preparation
- Racing preparation:
- 5th May: Tamworth Mountain Biking 5 hour race. Compulsory for NIAS athletes
- April, May, June & July: North West New England NIXCS series
- July: School Nationals MTB on the Gold Coast
Inter academy training weekend camps including fitness testing tailored to cycling.
The skill program is designed to provide athletes with increased skills and education to better prepare them for competition in Regional and NSW events.
To be eligible athletes will be required to submit details on previous race performance. Athletes will also be required to attend the selection day and will be required to undergo a time trial and skills assessment.
Subjectivity is an unavoidable element in all selections. Athletes who feel the selection criteria has not been adhered to should be aware that NIAS has a formal 'Appeals' process available.
Skill sessions and camps are held within the Northern Inland region throughout the year (depending on what is most appropriate). The skills program follows a structured approach concentrating on a range of individual skills and development. Fitness sessions focus on the importance of building core strength to improve posture, balance and technique. On February the 10th, athletes are required to attend the GROWTH educational day. This program covers education sessions on goal setting, resilience, opportunities beyond sport, wellness and nutrition, testing and fitness, health and well being.
Regional training sessions for the 2019 program are yet to be finalized. Please refer to the Events on the webpage.
- Intensive training support by quality regional, guest and state level coaches.
- GROWTH Day- Six educatonal workshops.
- NIAS clothing pack.
- Individual home training program and structured satellite training sessions where applicable.
- Sport Science fitness testing and support.
- 1 Ticket to annual awards night.
- Travel Assistance to attend NIAS regional training sessions and camps.
- Financial assistance if selected into state team.
- Fully Paid Athlete Levy scholarships due to financial hardship available.
- Attend all program activities.
- Mountain Biking is no 1 priority sport while on scholarship.
- Be committed to a holistic approach to their development, both on and off the field.
- Comply with the training requirements and respond in a positive manner to any suggestion or criticism.
- Maintain an appropriate performance standard to continue to receive a scholarship.
- Behave and dress in a professional and dignified manner when representing the NIAS and its sponsors.
- Wear Academy apparel when representing the Academy at events.
- Make yourself available (within reason) to sponsors and the media for promotional purposes.
- Adhere to NIAS anti-Doping policy.
- Maintain communication with NIAS and coaching staff as required.
Athlete levy: $190 GST inclusive. This levy covers training camps, coaching support, Life Skills Education Day, fitness testing, Awards Night ticket)
Sports Trip: $190 GST inclusive. This is an approximate number, can change depending on tour activities.
Cycling Clothing Pack: $TBC (Includes NIAS polo shirt, cap, training shirt, training shorts, tracksuit pants, hoodie and ankle socks). Additional NIAS merchandise can be purchased.
Athlete levy support programs are available for those experiencing financial difficulty.
Open Date: 27 August 2018
Close Date: 18 January 2020
For further information please contact the NIAS office on 67 662526 or email email@example.com
Applications currently closed