The 2020/2021 NIAS Golf program applications are now CLOSED and the 2021 squad has been selected.
To be eligble, athletes must be aged 13 - 18 years old in 2021 (born 2003-2008).
Coach Nominations for the 2020/2021 season are now CLOSED. Download the form here.
If you require more information, please contact the NIAS office.
Applicants will be accepted off their handicap. They must provide their golf link number.
2021 "Jack Newton Junior Golf" Golf Program
Head Coach, Darren Burger, PGA
Who is Eligible?
Male and female athletes need to be turning 13-18 years in 2021 (born between 2003 and 2008), reside in Northern Inland region and be a member of an affiliated club or association (or be prepared to join).
Selection Process & Criteria
Athletes must have a golf handicap of 25 or under to gain selection. If your handicap is slightly greater, please contact NIAS. Up to 10 athletes (male and female) will be offered a place in the Golf Program based on Handicap. Selection will not only be based on handicap but also based on your attitude and commitment to golf.
Interviews may be required. Discussions with you local club may also be conducted in some cases. We encourage all athletes that fit within the age bracket to apply even if your handicap is outside the range. NIAS may look to invite juniors throughout the region to a NIAS training session.
Scholarship period is November 2020 to April 2021. The program will consist of six regional weekend sessions. Athletes will be invited to attend an inter academy golf camp weekend. All athletes will participate at the Clubs NSW Academy Games in Newcastle in April.
Regional training weekends will involve training Saturday morning followed by afternoon comp and training session Sunday morning. JNJG will attend a regional training session throughout your program.
Training dates for the 2021 program are:
Training Weekend 1: Saturday 7th November - Sunday 8th November 2020
Training Weekend 2: Saturday 5th December - Sunday 6th December 2020
Training Weekend 3: Saturday 6th February - Sunday 7th February 2021
Additional 3 Training dates and locations are to be finalised.
Your Local Club Academy Games 16th - 18th April 2021 in Newcastle.
Awards Night – Date TBC
The program is developed in close consultation with Jack Newton Junior Golf (JNJG). Skill sessions and camps are held within the region throughout the stated program duration. Specialist coaches and competing whilst representing NIAS will be available to squad members. Athletes will attend the NIAS Life Skills Education Day. This program covers education sessions on Goal Setting, Resilience, Opportunities beyond sport, Wealth management, Testing and fitness, radio and print media and Healthy mind healthy body. The Squad also competes in the annual Your Local Club Academy Games each April.
The skill program is designed to provide players with increased skills and education to better prepare them for selection into Regional and NSW squads.
Subjectivity is an unavoidable element in all selections. Athletes who feel the selection criteria has not been adhered to should be aware that NIAS has a formal 'Appeals' process available.
Contact NIAS if you would like to make an appeal and recieve feedback on your application.
- Intensive training support by quality regional, guest and state level coaches.
- Attendance at the NIAS Life Skills Education Weekend (off-field education)
- Individual home training program and structured satellite training sessions where applicable.
- Sport Science fitness testing and support.
- 1 Ticket to annual awards night.
- Travel Assistance to attend NIAS regional training sessions and camps.
- Financial assistance if selected into state team.
- Attend all program activities.
- Golf is no 1 priority sport while on scholarship.
- Be committed to a holistic approach to their development, both on and off the course.
- Comply with the training requirements and respond in a positive manner to any suggestion or criticism.
- Maintain an appropriate performance standard to continue to receive a scholarship.
- Behave and dress in a professional and dignified manner when representing the NIAS and its sponsors.
- Wear Academy apparel when representing the Academy at events.
- Make yourself available (within reason) to sponsors and the media for promotional purposes.
- Adhere to NIAS anti-Doping policy.
- Maintain communication with NIAS and coaching staff as required.
Athlete levy: $190 GST inclusive. This levy covers training camps, coaching support, Life Skills Education Day, fitness testing, Awards Night ticket)
Sports Trip: $190 GST inclusive. This is an approximate number, can change depending on tour activities.
Academy Games: $250 GST inclusive. This is for the female athletes selected to represent NIAS at the Academy Games.
Golf Clothing Pack: $TBC (Includes NIAS polo shirt, cap, training shirt, training shorts, tracksuit pants, hoodie and ankle socks). Additional NIAS merchandise can be purchased.
Athlete levy support programs are available for those experiencing financial difficulty.
Open Date: 07 September 2020
Close Date: 25 October 2020
For further information please contact the NIAS office on 67 662526 or email email@example.com
Applications currently closed