Applications for the 2020 program are now CLOSED and the squad has been selected.
To be eligible you must be aged 15 (born in 2005) to apply.
Athletes must reside in Group 21, 4, or 19 regions and be a member of an affiliated club or association or be prepared to join.
GROUP 21 PLEASE NOTE: If you reside within Group 21, please fill in your details with your address, and select TAMWORTH COUNCIL as your local council area.
If you require more information, please contact the NIAS office.
Who is Eligible
Male athletes who turn 15 in 2020 (born in 2005), reside within the Group 21, 4 or 19 regions and is a member of an affiliated club or association or be prepared to join.
Selection Process & Criteria
Male players may be offered a place in the Rugby League Program based on their performances. A selection panel will assess each application based on performances, attitude and commitment to Rugby League.
Athletes will be assessed on the following criteria via Talent Identification processes.
- T- Technique
- I- Intelligence (Touch).
- P- Physical Attributes
- S- Skill
- Endurance- 20m shuttle run
The year will be different to the structure in previous years but will include the following:
- Two regional training sessions for all athletes (groups) combined
- Skills acquisiiton, strength and conditioning and athlete education
- Inter-squad match play within the region (Will double as the trials for the 2021 greater Northern Tigers U16's program - Saturday 10th October
- Two to three centralised group training sessions with your group/region
The program includes skill development, team development, fitness screening, games against quality opposition and regional match play.
This program will also provide access to the life skills athlete education modules.
The program will offer each athlete the opportunity to further develop and improve skills required to gain selection in regional, state and national teams.
Subjectivity is an unavoidable element in all selections. Athletes who feel the selection criteria has not been adhered to should be aware that NIAS has a formal 'Appeals' process available.
Contact NIAS if you would like to make an appeal and recieve feedback on your application.
Intensive training support by quality regional, guest and state level coaches.
- Attendance at the NIAS Life Skills Education Weekend (off-field education)
- Regional training sessions.
- Sport Science fitness testing and support.
- One ticket to annual awards night.
- Travel assistance to attend NIAS regional training sessions and camps.
- Financial assistance if selected into state team.
- Fully Paid Athlete Levy scholarships due to financial hardship available.
- Attend all program activities.
- Be committed to a holistic approach to their development, both on and off the field.
- Comply with the training requirements and respond in a positive manner to any suggestion or criticism.
- Maintain an appropriate performance standard to continue to receive a scholarship.
- Behave and dress in a professional and dignified manner when representing the NIAS and its sponsors.
- Wear Academy apparel when representing the Academy at events.
- Make yourself available (within reason) to sponsors and the media for promotional purposes.
- Adhere to NIAS anti-doping policy.
- Maintain communication with NIAS and coaching staff as required.
Athlete levy: $TBC. This levy will cover training camps, coaching support, Life Skills Education Day, fitness testing, Awards Night ticket)
Sports Trip: $TBC.
Rugby League Training Shirt: $TBC (Additional NIAS merchandise can be purchased).
Athlete levy support programs are available for those experiencing financial difficulty.
Open Date: 26 August 2020
Close Date: 05 October 2020
For further information please contact the NIAS office on 67 662526 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications currently closed