With support from Triathlon NSW, NIAS is excited to announce that Triathlon will be a core sporting program for the 2020/21 program year.
Applications for the 2020 program are now CLOSED and the squad has been selected.
PLEASE NOTE: THERE IS NOT AN OPTION TO CHOOSE 'TRIATHLON'. PLEASE CLICK ON LONESTAR AND CONTINUE TO COMPLETE APPLICATION.
After a six year hiatus, Triathlon is back and NIAS will be offering up to 6 athlete positions (male & female) for the 2020/21 program year.
To be eligble athletes must be between 13 and 17 years of age as at 31st December 2021 (i.e. born in years 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005 or 2004).
Triathlon Deveopment Program 2020 Squad
Head Coach: John Hickey
Who is Eligible
NIAS will offer 4-6 athlete scholarships as part of the Triathlon program.
To be eligible for selection in the program for 2020-2021, athletes must be between 13 and 17 years of age as at 31st December 2021 (i.e. born in years 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005 or 2004).
Athletes must reside in the Northern Inland region and be a member of an affiliated club or association or be prepared to join. Athletes must be prepared to maintain an annual membership with Triathlon Australia.
Selection Process & Criteria
Up to 6 athletes (male & female) may be offered a place in the Triathlon Program based on performances selection. A selection panel will assess each application based on performances and attitude and commitment to Triathlon.
Athletes will be assessed on the following criteria at selections/ trials or through the Talent Identification processes.
- T- Technique
- I- Intelligence (Triathlon).
- P- Physical Attributes
- S- Skill
- Endurance- 20m shuttle run
Scholarship offered is for the period August 2020 to October 2021
Please refer to the events on the NIAS website for the calendar of events.
The program includes competition, skill development, team development, testing and athlete education.
The program will consist of:
- Travel assistance to support Triathlon NSW key events and inter-academy camps/races
- One to two regional training sessions with local head coach
- Athlete attendance at Academy Games in April 2021
- Athletes will be required to attend four out of the six races aligned with the Billigence Pathway Championship Series
- Attend annual academy awards night
Athletes are to access information from the NIAS Life Skills Education program. This program covers education sessions on
- Correct Nutrition
- Opportunities beyond Sport
- Performance Psychology
- Physiotherapist Support (Correct Techniques)
- Health and Wellbeing
- Strength & Conditioning support
The program will offer each athlete the opportunity to further develop and improve skills required to gain selection in regional, state and national teams.
Subjectivity is an unavoidable element in all selections. Athletes who feel the selection criteria has not been adhered to should be aware that NIAS has a formal 'Appeals' process available.
Contact NIAS if you would like to make an appeal and recieve feedback on your application.
Intensive training support by quality regional, guest and state level coaches.
- NIAS Life Skills Education Program
- Regional training sessions.
- Sport science fitness testing and support.
- One ticket to annual awards night
- Financial assistance if selected into National team.
- Fully paid athlete levy scholarships due to financial hardship available (required to complete form to be considered)
- Attend all program activities
- Be committed to a holistic approach to your development, both on and off the field
- Comply with the training requirements and respond in a positive manner to any suggestion or constructive criticism
- Maintain an appropriate performance standard to continue to receive a scholarship
- Behave and dress in a professional and dignified manner when representing the NIAS and its sponsors
- Wear Academy apparel when representing the Academy at events
- Make yourself available (within reason) to sponsors and the media for promotional purposes
- Adhere to NIAS anti-Doping policy
- Maintain communication with NIAS and coaching staff as required
Athlete levy: $XXX GST inclusive. This levy covers training camps, coaching support, GROWTH day, fitness testing, Awards Night ticket)
NIAS Clothing: $XXX GST inclusive
NIAS Racing Strip:
Additional NIAS merchandise can be purchased from SportsPower Armidale.
Athlete levy support programs are available for those experiencing financial difficulty.
Open Date: 03 August 2020
Close Date: 18 September 2020
For further information please contact the NIAS office on 67 662526 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications currently closed