With support from Triathlon NSW, NIAS is excited to announce that a Triathlon Development program will be a core sporting program for the 2021/2022 program year.
Applications for the 2022 program are now OPEN! Click the yellow APPLY button to the right to submit an application
(or at the bottom of this page for mobile users)
To be eligble athletes must be between 13 and 17 years of age as at 31st December 2022 (i.e. born in years 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006 or 2005).
Stay Tuned for the 2022 Squad!
Head Coach: John Hickey
Who is Eligible
NIAS will offer 4-6 athlete scholarships as part of the Triathlon program.
To be eligible for selection in the program for 2021-2022, athletes must be between 13 and 17 years of age as at 31st December 2022 (i.e. born in years 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006 or 2005).
Athletes must reside in the Northern Inland region and be a member of an affiliated club or association or be prepared to join. Athletes must be prepared to maintain an annual membership with Triathlon Australia.
Selection Process & Criteria
Athletes (male and female) be offered a place in the Triathlon Program based on performances selection. A selection panel will assess each application based on performances and attitude and commitment to Triathlon.
Athletes will be assessed on the following criteria at selections/ trials or through the Talent Identification processes.
- T- Technique
- I- Intelligence (Triathlon).
- P- Physical Attributes
- S- Skill
- Endurance- 20m shuttle run
Scholarship offered is for the period August 2021 to October 2022
Please refer to the events on the NIAS website for the calendar of events (these will be updated throughout the program year).
The program includes training, skill development, team development, opportunity for inter-academy competition and athlete education.
The program will consist of:
- Travel assistance to support Triathlon NSW key events and inter-academy camps/races
- Regional training sessions with local head coach
- Athlete attendance at Academy Games in April 2022
- Attend annual academy awards night
Athletes will have access to information from the NIAS Life Skills Education program. This program covers education sessions on
- Correct Nutrition
- Opportunities beyond Sport
- Performance Psychology
- Physiotherapist Support (Correct Techniques)
- Health and Wellbeing
- Strength & Conditioning support
The program will offer each athlete the opportunity to further develop and improve skills required to gain selection in regional, state and national teams.
Subjectivity is an unavoidable element in all selections. Athletes who feel the selection criteria has not been adhered to should be aware that NIAS has a formal 'Appeals' process available.
Contact NIAS if you would like to make an appeal and recieve feedback on your application.
Intensive training support by quality regional, guest and state level coaches.
- NIAS Life Skills Education Program
- Regional training sessions
- Strength and Conditioning Support
- One ticket to annual awards night
- Financial assistance if selected into National team.
- Opportunity for inter-Academy competition
- Fully paid athlete levy scholarships due to financial hardship available (required to complete form to be considered)
- Attend all program activities
- Be committed to a holistic approach to your development, both on and off the field
- Comply with the training requirements and respond in a positive manner to any suggestion or constructive criticism
- Maintain an appropriate performance standard to continue to receive a scholarship
- Behave and dress in a professional and dignified manner when representing the NIAS and its sponsors
- Wear Academy apparel when representing the Academy at events
- Make yourself available (within reason) to sponsors and the media for promotional purposes
- Adhere to NIAS anti-Doping policy
- Maintain communication with NIAS and coaching staff as required
Athlete levy: $XXX GST inclusive. This levy covers training camps, coaching support, education, fitness testing, Awards Night ticket)
NIAS Clothing: $XXX GST inclusive
NIAS Racing Strip:
Additional NIAS merchandise can be purchased from SportsPower Armidale.
Athlete levy support programs are available for those experiencing financial difficulty.
Open Date: 04 August 2021
Close Date: 15 October 2021
For further information please contact the NIAS office on 67 662526 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications currently closed